By Kerry Walters
Full of actual tales extra dramatic than any fiction, The Underground Railroad: A Reference Guide deals a clean, revealing examine the efforts of thousands of committed persons—white and black, women and men, from all walks of life—to aid slave fugitives locate freedom within the a long time best as much as the Civil War.
• unique records, from key laws just like the Fugitive Slave Act of 1850 to first-person narratives of escaping slaves
• Biographical sketches of key figures all in favour of the Underground Railroad, together with Levi Coffin, William Lloyd Garrison, Robert Purvis, and Mary Ann Shadd
Read Online or Download The Underground Railroad: A Reference Guide (Guides to Historic Events in America) PDF
Best american history books
The Ethnic measurement in American heritage is an intensive survey of the position that ethnicity has performed in shaping the heritage of the United States. contemplating ethnicity when it comes to race, language, faith and nationwide starting place, this significant textual content examines its results on social kin, public coverage and monetary improvement.
Prior to the Chickasaws have been got rid of to lands in Oklahoma within the 1800s, the center of the Chickasaw kingdom was once situated east of the Mississippi River within the higher watershed of the Tombigbee River in what's at the present time northeastern Mississippi. Their lands have been referred to as "splendid and fertile" by means of French governor Bienville on the time they have been being coveted via early ecu settlers.
Among 1840 and 1869, hundreds of thousands of individuals crossed the yankee continent searching for a brand new existence within the West. good fortune relies on the Animals explores the relationships and encounters that those emigrants had with animals, either wild and family, as they traveled the Overland path. within the longest migration of individuals in heritage, the overlanders have been observed via millions of labor animals akin to horses, oxen, mules, and livestock.
This e-book explores the specialists of Puritan Massachusetts balanced main issue for the soundness of the colony and the integrity of its Puritan undertaking with the hopes of reconciling dissidents again into the colonial community.
- Return to Aztlan: Indians, Spaniards, and the Invention of Nuevo México (Latin American and Caribbean Arts and Culture)
- Beyond the Windswept Dunes: The Story of Maritime Michigan (Great Lakes Books Series)
- Domestic Subjects (The Henry Roe Cloud Series on American Indians and Modernity)
- Drumbeats from Mescalero: Conversations with Apache Elders, Warriors, and Horseholders (Elma Dill Russell Spencer Series in the West and Southwest)
- A Biography of a Map in Motion: Augustine Herrman's Chesapeake
- Into New Territory: American Historians and the Concept of US Imperialism (Studies in American Thought and Culture)
Additional info for The Underground Railroad: A Reference Guide (Guides to Historic Events in America)
The Underground Railroad: A Reference Guide (Guides to Historic Events in America) by Kerry Walters